Using the legacy of Sir William Harpur, our founder in 1566, we offer support exclusively in the Bedford area. Over the past ten years we have awarded over £8.875 million in community grants to groups and individuals in the Borough of Bedford. We are one of the top 100 charities in the UK.
Supporting our community by giving grants to local projects is core to what we do.
The grants we offer to projects based in and around Bedford help local organisations and individuals to make a difference to their own lives or those of others.
Our grants to organisations are split into two categories:
* Our responsive programme – approximately £500,000 is awarded from this programme every year. Grants within this category cover education, relief and recreation.
* Our themed grants programme – an additional £500,000 a year is available from this programme. These enable us to focus resources on topics of particular interest which still fit within our three objects of education, relief and recreation.
Although most of our grants are given to organisations we also offer a very small number of grants to individuals; these are all education focused.
We own, manage and support the four independent Harpur Trust Schools:
* Bedford Girls’ School – a day school for girls aged 7-18
* Bedford Modern School – a day school for boys and girls aged 7-18
* Bedford School – a boarding and day school for boys aged 7-18
* Pilgrims Preparatory School – a nursery and prep school for boys and girls aged 3 months to 7 years