Animal Control complaints and issues are not to be reported through this page. This page is a resource to help lost and found pets of our community and to help adoptable pets from our shelter find new homes. If you have an Animal Control complaint or issue, call the Mustang Police Department non emergency number,
(405) 376-2488 to report the issue.
We are open to the public from:
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday,
and are open Wednesday 9:00 to 12:00.
We are closed on Saturday and Sunday.
The shelter is closed to the public for maintenance, housekeeping and animal care
from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily.
Adoptable pets are available through Friends of the Mustang Animal Shelter. You can view all available pets here: fomasok.petfinder.com
An application for adoption can be found here:
If you're interested in fostering, our foster application can be found here:
HAVE YOU LOST YOUR PET??
Here a few helpful suggestions to get you started in your search to find your furry family member. Remember to ACT IMMEDIATELY, don't wait for them to return home.
1) Post a photo of the Mustang Animal Shelter's facebook page.
2) Call the Animal Shelter and leave a description of your pet and the area of town that your pet went missing and ask for the shelter's list of resources to help you find your pet.
3) Place a missing poster/photo of your pet in your yard or on your mailbox.
4) Contact your Home Owners Association, your veterinarian, your groomer and your pet babysitter and have an email sent to all residents with a photo, description and contact info.
5) Assign someone to post to social media sites, a pic and contact info ( such as respond to this post if seen) if you are not comfortable posting you phone number. Here are a few facebook pages to get you started.
Mustang Animal Shelter
Friends of the Mustang Animal Shelter
Lost and Found Pets in Oklahoma
OK Help! Find my Fido
OKC Area Lost and Found pets
Best Friends of Pets
Reuniting Lost and Found Pets in Oklahoma
Animal Resource Center
City of Mustang
7) Don't give up, the search could take days and don't leave the searching up to your friends, neighbors, or Animal Control, your pet has bonded to you and will respond to YOU if frightened.
8) As soon as possible, take a moment to identify why or how your pet escaped. Take steps to prevent it from happening again.
9) When your pet is returned home, make sure your pet has ID on at all times, consider getting your pet microchipped too. All shelters, and veterinarians have scanners and can locate you through the microchip as long as you keep your information up to date.
Contact the shelter for more helpful information to aid you in your search for your furry family member.
HAVE YOU FOUND/SEEN A STRAY PET/ANIMAL?
Here are some VERY IMPORTANT things to consider BEFORE you pick up that stray pet.
1) Keep in mind, that when you pick up a stray animal, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT ANIMAL UNTIL YOU MAKE OTHER ARRANGEMENTS FOR THAT ANIMAL OR YOU FIND THE OWNER
2) IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO CARE FOR AND BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT STRAY ANIMAL UNTIL ARRANGEMENTS CAN BE MADE.... DO NOT PICK UP THAT ANIMAL!!!!!
3) STRAY ANIMALS CAN BE VERY FEARFUL AND CAN BITE or can be exposed to an illness that you are not aware of!
Do not put yourself, your family members and your family pets at risk by picking up a stray animal.
4) It is always best to call and inform the appropriate authority about the location and description of the stray animal you have seen. Be sure to note these helpful identifying characteristics:
1) Wear ing a collar? Does collar have tags?
2) Approximate size or weight
3) Approximate breed type
ADOPT A SHELTER PET!
Because we would like to personally introduce you to the animals that may interest you, we ask that you call in advance to schedule an appointment. Our shelter does not have open viewing of the animals so there is no ‘window shopping’. We ask that you check our face book page for animals that are available for adoption. Once your appointment is made, you can look forward to a unique opportunity meeting the animal that might just steal your heart and become the newest addition to your family!
RECLAIMING YOUR PET FROM IMPOUND
Please call in advance to schedule your appointment to pick up your pet.
Due to the high volume of calls and visitors to the shelter, appointments are necessary.
Please also remember to bring your pets current rabies vaccination certificate.
CITY TAGS AND LICENSES ARE REQUIRED
City tags and licenses are $6 each year. They are to be renewed each January and your pet is required to wear the city tags as identification. If your pet has an identification tag already, city tags are required to be worn by your pet in addition to that tag. To obtain your city tag and license, bring your pets current rabies vaccination certificate to the shelter and a tag and license will be issued. Payment must be made at city hall after receiving your tag and license.